What Are the Penalties for DUI in California?
Riverside DUI Defense Attorney
If convicted of drunk driving, you could face a number of serious consequences, depending on
prior convictions and the existence of any aggravating circumstances. Conviction could lead to such penalties as:
- First DUI: Imprisonment in county jail for as long as 6 months, license suspension for 6 to 10 months, and fines of $390 to $1000
- Second DUI: Imprisonment in county jail for 96 hours to 2 years, license suspension for 2 years, and fines of $390 to $1000
- Third DUI: Imprisonment in county jail for 120 days to 1 year, license suspension for 3 years, and fines of $390 to $1000
- Felony DUI: Incarceration in a state prison for 16 months to 3 years, license suspension for 4 years, fines of $390 to $1000, DMV designation as a Habitual Traffic Offender (HTO)
- DUI with Injury (Misdemeanor): Imprisonment in county jail for 5 days to 1 year, license suspension for 1 to 3 years, fines of $390 to $5000
The DMV Process
A DUI charge actually involves two proceedings. There is the criminal trial in the courts and the DMV process with a hearing officer over whether to suspend your driver's license. When you are arrested, the police officer takes your license and gives you a temporary 30 day license. On the back of the temporary license, you are given notice that you have 10 days from the arrest to appeal your license suspension. You need the services of an experienced attorney to contest the suspension at the hearing.
Fighting Your Charges
Our firm provides aggressive defense to clients charged with DUI throughout the Riverside area, and we represent clients at both their criminal trials and DMV hearings. Our team has years of experience as criminal lawyers and we are rated as Certified Specialists in criminal law by the State Bar Board of Legal Specialization. This recognition is given to very few criminal defense attorneys in the state. We are also classified by the Martindale Hubbell national l law directory as AV which means "preeminent" nationally in the field of criminal law.
We understand that being arrested is devastating and the threat of imprisonment overwhelming. We view it as our job to be part of the solution to your problems, and our team will be your forceful advocate and work tirelessly to defend you. We urge you to contact the firm for a free consultation.