Riverside Assault Lawyer
Defending Clients Who Are Facing Assault Charges in Riverside County
An assault occurs when one individual threatens to commit or intends to commit, physical harm to another. Battery is the actual touching or harming of someone without their consent. Most states connect both crimes as a type of bodily injury, but, in fact, assault is an attempted battery and will stand as a crime on its own without a battery being committed. An example would be if someone throws a punch at another during a fight, the act of throwing that punch would be an assault. If the punch lands and the other person is struck, then a battery has been committed.
As the law does not require that there needs to be an injury for an assault to have occurred, which opens the door for someone to be wrongly accused of and arrested for assault. In any accusation of assault, an aggressive defense must be initiated early in the process. The experienced Riverside assault lawyers from the Law Offices of Grech & Packer have almost 50 years of combined experience helping clients who have been unjustly accused of assault. Our firm’s founder, Mr. Grech, is a Certified Specialist in Criminal Law by the State Bar of California, an accomplishment shared by only a few attorneys in this state. We know how to build a strong defense for your case.
Have you been accused of assault? Call Law Offices of Grech & Packer today at (951) 291-0105 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our assault attorneys in Riverside.
Simple Assault vs. Aggravated Assault
An individual may be charged with simple assault when the threats made or injuries received are not very serious. When a deadly weapon is used in the commission of the crime or when the victim suffers serious injury, the charge is escalated to aggravated assault.
Assault charges may result from:
- Self-defense in the event of an assault
- A conflict in a public place
- Domestic violence
- Disorderly conduct
- Road rage
What are the Penalties For Assault in California?
How severe the penalties will be depends on whether a weapon was used and the extent of the injuries received. If convicted, you may face jail or prison time, stiff fines, and have to pay restitution to the victim. These are serious consequences and require immediate legal help.
If you have been charged with assault, battery, or domestic violence, reach out to our office for a review of your case. We will vigorously pursue a favorable outcome on your behalf.
Defenses to Assault Charges in California
In California, there may be several defenses that could be available to someone facing assault charges. Some of the most common defenses can include:
- Self-defense: If the defendant reasonably believed that they were in imminent danger of being harmed, they may have acted in self-defense. Although, the defendant must have used no more force than was necessary to act in defense.
- Defense of others: Similar to self-defense, if the defendant believed that another individual was in imminent danger of harm, they might have acted in defense of another. As the same with self-defense, the defendant must have used no more force than was necessary.
- Defense of property: If the defendant had reason to believe that their property was in imminent danger of being damaged or stolen, they may have acted in defense of their property. Likewise, the defendant must have used no more force than was necessary.
- Lack of intent: The defendant did not have the intention to commit assault. For example, if the defendant accidentally bumped into someone and that person claimed it to be an assault, the defendant could argue that they did not have intentions to cause any harm.
- False allegations: In some cases, a person may be falsely accused of assault based on the fact that the alleged victim is lying or mistaken.
The specific defenses available in an assault case will be dependent on the particular facts and circumstances of the case. If you are facing assault charges, it's important to work with a qualified assault attorney from our firm to understand your legal options and potential defenses.
Contact Our Riverside Assault Attorney Today
At Law Offices of Grech & Packer, our Riverside assault attorneys have secured positive results for past clients in even the most complex cases, and we are ready to fight to protect your rights.
Contact Law Offices of Grech & Packer today to get started on your defense with our Riverside assault lawyer.
Unparalleled Experience. Incredible Results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let us help answer questions regarding your case.View Our FAQ
Get Started Now
Law Offices of Grech & Packer provide sound legal counsel to those in Riverside and the surrounding areas.Schedule Your Consultation
Experience in Legal Strategies
Dedicated to delivering incredible results.Why Hire an Attorney
Put a Specialist on Your Side
Offers the highest standard of legal knowledge and insight.What is Board Certified