Riverside Conspiracy Defense Lawyer
Aggressively Defending Against Conspiracy in California
At Grech & Packer, our experienced conspiracy defense attorneys understand how devastating it can be to face criminal charges in California. If you've been accused of conspiracy or a related crime in Riverside or the surrounding area, it's imperative to secure a strong defense as soon as possible to avoid life-altering ramifications in criminal court. Fortunately, our aggressive criminal defense lawyers have the in-depth legal knowledge and diverse skillset to defend your rights and protect your freedom in Riverside.
Conspiracy charges can lead to life-changing consequences in criminal court. Call (951) 291-0105 to request a consultation with a Riverside defense lawyer.
What Is Conspiracy in California?
Conspiracy is a serious criminal offense codified in California Penal Code § 182 PC. Also known as “partnership in crime,” it occurs when two or more individuals agree (“co-conspire”) to commit a crime. At least one party must take an overt act in furtherance of that agreement.
Conspiracy encompasses a wide range of criminal activities, including (but not limited to):
- Organizing and executing white-collar crimes like embezzlement or fraud
- Conspiring to commit acts of violence or terrorism
- Planning and coordinating drug trafficking operations
- Collaborating in identity theft or internet crimes
- Engaging in conspiracy to commit murder, robbery, or other violent offenses
Remember, it’s crucial to consult with a Riverside conspiracy defense attorney with a comprehensive understanding of conspiracy charges in California, as they can help fortify your case with relevant evidence and guide your steps wisely during the criminal proceedings. A qualified defense attorney can also recommend an appropriate defense strategy to employ on your behalf that is best suited to your unique needs and goals.
Penalties for Conspiracy in California
In California, a conspiracy conviction can result in severe criminal penalties for defendants that drastically impact their lives. Conspiracy is known as a wobbler offense in California, meaning it can be tried as a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the unique circumstances of the case. Generally, the penalties of a conspiracy conviction include:
In addition to the penalties above, it’s worth noting that a conspiracy conviction can have long-lasting consequences beyond immediate penalties. In many cases, such charges can negatively impact various aspects of the defendant’s life, from personal and professional relationships to employment and financial security.
Defending Against Conspiracy Charges in California
Securing an aggressive defense from a qualified conspiracy defense attorney is nonnegotiable for accused Californians to avoid the life-changing criminal penalties of a conspiracy conviction. While there are various defenses that can defend against conspiracy charges, consulting with your defense lawyer is imperative to determine an effective strategy for your unique situation.
Below are three common defense strategies against conspiracy charges in California:
- No Agreement – According to §182 PC, an agreement to commit the offense must take place to result in conspiracy charges. If no agreement occurred, the defendant’s lawyer can use this defense to get the charges against their client reduced or dismissed.
- No Overt Act – At least one party must commit an “overt act” for the activity to be considered conspiracy under California law. If no overt act was committed, the charges may be dropped against the defendant altogether.
- Withdrawal – While defendants may conspire to commit crimes, they are not guilty of conspiracy if they withdrew from the offense prior to committing any unlawful activities. Keep in mind that this only applies if the defendant communicates their withdrawal before the act is committed by themselves or other parties.
Aggressively Defending the Accused in Riverside, CA
If you or a loved one has been accused of conspiracy in California, it's crucial to understand the seriousness of the charges and the potential penalties of a criminal conviction. Don’t throw away your future by forgoing your right to a skilled defense after being arrested or charged with a crime. At the Law Offices of Grech & Packer, our experienced team of criminal defense lawyers is dedicated to protecting the rights of accused Californians facing criminal allegations in Riverside and beyond, from arson to DUI defense.
Facing criminal charges? Turn to our fierce Riverside defense lawyers to defend your rights. Contact us online to discuss your case.
At Law Offices of Grech & Packer, we have the skills and experience you deserve. Get to know our team by scrolling down and select the staff you would like to learn more about.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let us help answer questions regarding your case.View Our FAQ
Get Started Now
Law Offices of Grech & Packer provide sound legal counsel to those in Riverside and the surrounding areas.Schedule Your Consultation
Experience in Legal Strategies
Dedicated to delivering incredible results.Why Hire an Attorney
Put a Specialist on Your Side
Offers the highest standard of legal knowledge and insight.What is Board Certified