The foundation of the United States of America is largely based on its concern for fairness and justice in the judicial system. Every citizen and legal resident of this country has certain rights and protections guaranteed under the Constitution. Even individuals accused, charged, or convicted of a crime—whether misdemeanor or felony—retain some very important legal rights. If these rights are compromised at any point in the legal process, from the arrest to the trial, the result of a criminal case may be significantly altered; often in a defendant’s favor.
If you or a loved one has been accused of a committing a crime, the most important thing you can do is hire a criminal attorney who has experience protecting defendant’s rights and interests. At Grech & Packer, we can evaluate your case at no cost, offer honest advice, and help build a strong defense to ensure you face the minimum possible penalties, or none at all.
Important Legal Rights
Individuals who have been charged with a crime retain a number of legal rights, the five most important of which include:
- 1. Right to Legal Counsel – Every person accused of a crime has the legal right to obtain a competent defense attorney. In the event that a defendant cannot afford counsel, the court must provide one for free. A defendant may also choose to act as his/her own counsel in court, which is NEVER recommended.
- 2. Right Against Self-Incrimination – All individuals charged with a criminal offense have the legal right to remain silent to avoid self-incrimination. They may also choose to testify on their own behalf in a court of law.
- 3. Right to a Jury Trial – All defendants have the right to a speedy, fair, and public trial. Additionally, every person accused of committing a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a panel of impartial jurors.
- 4. Right to Cross-Examine Witnesses – Every defendant has the right to cross-examine and question all witnesses that testify against him/her in court.
- 5. Right to Submit Evidence – A defendant has the legal right to submit evidence into court and/or file a motion to subpoena all witnesses and evidence that could significantly alter the outcome of the case in his/her favor, at no cost.
If you or someone you love is facing criminal charges, don’t jeopardize your rights and freedom. Please contact us today to consult with one of our skilled criminal defense attorneys who will ensure you rights and interests are protected throughout the entire legal process.
Recent VictoriesWhere Tough Cases Are Won
Assault With a Deadly Weapon
Appeals Case - Murder
Aggravated Child Molestation
People v. G.G. - The defendant was charged with aggravated child molestation and faced life in prison.
A.Y. v. County of San Bernardino
$500,000 in Workers Compensation Fraud
Unparalleled Experience. Incredible Results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let us help answer questions regarding your case.View Our FAQ
Get Started Now
Law Offices of Grech & Packer provide sound legal counsel to those in Riverside and the surrounding areas.Schedule Your Consultation
Experience in Legal Strategies
Dedicated to delivering incredible results.Why Hire an Attorney
Put a Specialist on Your Side
Offers the highest standard of legal knowledge and insight.What is Board Certified