Riverside Money Laundering Defense Attorneys
Fierce Defense for the Accused in California
Whether you simply weren’t thinking or made an honest mistake, our experienced advocates at the Law Offices of Grech & Packer understand that bad things happen to good people all the time in California. When it comes to money laundering and other white-collar crimes, securing an experienced defense is nonnegotiable to avoid the harsh and lasting penalties of a criminal conviction.
Fortunately, our Riverside money laundering defense attorneys have the in-depth knowledge and skills to defend your rights in criminal court. Our aggressive criminal defense lawyers can fight fiercely to restore your freedom and defend your hard-earned reputation by providing the high-quality defense you rightfully deserve.
Facing criminal charges in Riverside or the surrounding area? Turn to a criminal defense firm you can trust. Contact us online to discuss your case.
What Is Money Laundering in California?
Money laundering is a type of white-collar crime in California. Codified in California Penal Code § 186.10, money laundering is defined as conducting or attempting to conduct one or more transactions within a seven-day period involving money or other valuable items obtained from illegal activities with the intent to promote, further, or assist criminal conduct. It involves disguising the illicit origins of funds to make them appear legitimate.
While money laundering encompasses a wide range of behaviors, some common examples of money laundering punishable under California law include:
- Structuring transactions –Breaking down large sums of cash into smaller deposits or transactions to avoid reporting requirements and raise less suspicion.
- Shell companies –Establishing fictitious companies or using legitimate companies to create complex financial transactions that obscure the origin and ownership of funds.
- Trade-based money laundering –Manipulating invoices, over-invoicing or under-invoicing goods and services in international trade transactions to move illicit funds across borders.
- Cryptocurrency transactions –Using digital currencies such as Bitcoin to convert and transfer illicit funds, taking advantage of the pseudo-anonymous nature of cryptocurrency transactions.
- Real estate investments –Purchasing real estate properties with illegally obtained funds, often through third parties or shell companies, to legitimize the proceeds of criminal activities.
Is Money Laundering a Felony in California?
In California, money laundering is considered a wobbler offense, meaning that this crime may be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the nature and severity of the crime. The criminal penalties of a conviction may include (but aren’t limited to):
- Misdemeanor money laundering – Misdemeanor offenses for money laundering are punishable by up to 1 year in jail.
- Felony money laundering – Felony offenses for money laundering are punishable by up to 4 years of imprisonment.
In certain cases, criminal penalties for money laundering may also include forfeiture of assets obtained by the money laundering.
Defense Strategies Against Money Laundering Charges
Securing a strong defense from an experienced money laundering defense lawyer can help protect your rights and build a strong defense strategy. Below are five common defense strategies used to contest money laundering charges in Riverside:
- Lack of intent: Challenging the prosecution's ability to prove that you had the intent to promote or further criminal conduct through money laundering.
- Insufficient evidence: Scrutinizing the evidence against you to identify weaknesses, inconsistencies, or lack of proof necessary for a conviction.
- Illegal search and seizure: Examining whether law enforcement violated your Fourth Amendment rights through an illegal search or seizure, potentially leading to the exclusion of evidence.
- Proving legitimate source of funds: Demonstrating that the funds in question have a legitimate origin and were not derived from illegal activities.
- Challenging financial forensic analysis: Engaging experts to scrutinize the financial transactions and forensic evidence presented by the prosecution, identifying any flaws or alternative explanations.
Contact a Fierce Riverside Defense Lawyer
Our award-winning criminal defense law firm takes pride in delivering high-end representation to accused Californians in Riverside and beyond. With over 65 years of combined experience, our criminal defense attorneys are well-equipped to advocate for defendants involved in a variety of criminal cases, from domestic violence defense to resisting arrest. If you’re facing criminal allegations, don’t wait to secure the skilled defense you need and deserve. Our Riverside lawyers can work tirelessly to reduce or drop the charges against you.
Charged with a crime in Riverside? Securing a strong defense is crucial to restore your freedom. (951) 291-0105 to schedule a consultation.
At Law Offices of Grech & Packer, we have the skills and experience you deserve. Get to know our team by scrolling down and select the staff you would like to learn more about.
Frequently Asked Questions
Let us help answer questions regarding your case.View Our FAQ
Get Started Now
Law Offices of Grech & Packer provide sound legal counsel to those in Riverside and the surrounding areas.Schedule Your Consultation
Experience in Legal Strategies
Dedicated to delivering incredible results.Why Hire an Attorney
Put a Specialist on Your Side
Offers the highest standard of legal knowledge and insight.What is Board Certified